Please use the menu on the left to navigate this website (or use the search bar below the menu).
Friends of the Earth Australia has been campaigning against the nuclear industry – and promoting safer solutions – for over 40 years.
Sign up for our fortnightly email updates on nuclear issues and anti-nuclear campaigns.
If you can donate to support FoE’s Anti-Nuclear campaign, please click here.
- Please click here for info on the federal govt plan for a national nuclear waste dump near Kimba in SA
- Nuclear powered submarines for Australia?
- Bob Carr – Nobody’s really interested in the nuclear option, Oct. 2021 article.
- Small nuclear reactors, huge costs, Oct. 2021 article in RenewEconomy
- Nuclear power’s long decline in shadow of wind and solar, Sept. 2021 article in RenewEconomy
- On April 26, the 35th anniversary of the Chernobyl disaster, the Electrical Trade Union launched a new website www.nofuture4nuclear.org. The ETU represents over 70,000 electricians, apprentices, electrical and power workers. Please sign up at www.nofuture4nuclear.org to receive occasional updates and please share on social media: Twitter, Facebook, See also the 2019 statement opposing nuclear power in Australia with 50+ signatory groups including overwhelming support from Australia’s trade unions.
- Australian uranium fuelled Fukushima and now fuels global insecurity (March 2021 article in The Ecologist)
- 10 years since the Fukushima nuclear disaster (briefing paper by Dr. Philip White, Feb. 2021)
- Australia’s uranium sales fuel insecurity (2-page briefing note by David Noonan, Feb. 2021).
- Legislation banning nuclear power in Australia should be retained (Feb. 2021 article in RenewEconomy)
- October 2020 – Updated Friends of the Earth Australia statement: Nuclear Power – No Solution to Climate Change
- August 2020: Australian government threatening to weaken uranium assessment/approvals processes under EPBC Act amendments. Briefing paper by David Noonan
- Check out the ‘Don’t Nuke the Climate’ website, facebook, instagram, twitter
- Book review: Michael Shellenberger’s reheated critique of climate ‘alarmism’
- Video collection – Friends of the Earth anti-nuclear films (mostly historical)
- The case for strengthened regulation of Australia’s uranium industry: April 2020 submission to EPBC Review Committee
- Exposing ‘small modular reactor’ economic misinformation from Ben Heard and other nuclear lobbyists
- NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro’s nuclear falsehoods (March 2020)
- Supporters of nuclear need a reality check: it’s staggeringly expensive (FoE opinion piece in the Sydney Morning Herald, 10 March 2020)
- Legislation banning nuclear power in Australia should be retained (Feb. 2020 Online Opinion article)
- Oct. 2019 – detailed joint NGO submission to NSW nuclear inquiry covering nuclear power and uranium mining
- Dec. 2019 – join NGO submission regarding proposed Olympic Dam mine expansion.
- Set of short infosheets on planned expansion of SA Olympic Dam (Roxby Downs) uranium mine.
- Queensland conservatives emerge as voice of reason in nuclear debate. Seriously!
- Sept. 2019 – civil society statement opposing nuclear power in Australia with 50+ signatory groups (environment, health, faith and indigenous groups plus wonderful support from trade unions).
- Sept. 2019 – Australian environment groups’ submission to federal nuclear power inquiry (lots on nuclear economics, ‘generation IV’ concepts, small modular reactors etc).
- The ‘advanced’ nuclear power sector is fuelling climate change, and WMDs (article in RenewEconomy)
- Small modular reactors and the nuclear culture wars (article in RenewEconomy)
- July 2019 – FoE briefing paper on nuclear power’s economic crisis (new reactors in north America and western Europe cost A$17-24 billion!) and the implications for Australia
- 2019 – updated links to lots of Australian and international literature on clean energy options
- July 2018: Aboriginal First Nations and Australia’s pro-nuclear ‘environmentalists’. Self-styled pro-nuclear environmentalists share the same retrograde attitudes towards Aboriginal people as government and industry.
- June 2018 – New report – Perth-based Paladin Energy’s uranium mines in Africa
- Proposed national nuclear waste dump in SA – Friends of the Earth submission to Senate Inquiry.
- Nuclear lobbyist Ben Heard promoting floating nuclear power plants that will be used to exploit fossil fuel reserves in the Arctic.
- A journey to the heart of the antinuclear resistance in Australia: 2018 Radioactive Exposure Tour of South Australia (written by Ray Acheson from Reaching Critical Will)
- Feb 2018 – Standing Strong 2015-17: How South Australians won the campaign against an international high-level nuclear waste dump. Fabulous new e-book produced by Friends of the Earth and other groups.
- Feb 2018 – Mirarr Traditional Owners in the NT are celebrating the 20th anniversary of the mass movement that defeated the Jabiluka uranium mine. The first initiative to mark the anniversary is a ‘Standing Strong’ calendar – to order the calendar and to see an online (PDF) version click here.
- August 2017: The new version of the Australian Nuclear Map is available – click here to see the map and click here to visit the website. To order A2 posters email us.
- April 2017 – FoE submission to NT inquiry: Radiation Risks and Fracking
A Friends of the Earth multimedia project — info, photos, video and audio about Australia’s nuclear and uranium sites