On this webpage:
- Nuclear power for Australia
- Nuclear power’s economic crisis
- Nuclear power Q&A myth-busting
- Nuclear power and climate change
- Safety / accidents / attacks
- Small modular reactors
- New ‘Generation IV’ reactor types
- Nuclear power’s impact on water resources
- Debunking pro-nuclear propagandists
- Multilateral nuclear fuel cycle proposals
- Renewables and energy efficiency
NUCLEAR POWER FOR AUSTRALIA
- Click here for a wepage with relevant articles.
- And to go to the nuclear power section of the links page, click here
NUCLEAR POWER’S ECONOMIC CRISIS
- Nuclear Power’s Economic Crisis and its Implications for Australia, Dec. 2021 report by Friends of the Earth Australia
- Nuclear Power’s Existential Crisis (Nov. 2017)
- Nuclear power down for the count (Jan 2016)
NUCLEAR POWER MYTH-BUSTING Q&A
- What do scientists say about nuclear power in relation to other energy sources?
- Isn’t nuclear power better than coal in the short term because of immediate danger of fuelling climate change?
- How does nuclear power stack up against other energy sources by cost of production?
- Thorium reactors … aren’t they a good option?
- Isn’t nuclear fusion power just around the corner?
- Aren’t there new reactors that are fuelled by nuclear waste ‒ wouldn’t this solve the problem of radioactive waste?
- Isn’t it true that Finland and Sweden are about to start operating high-level nuclear waste dumps?
- Won’t Small Modular Reactors be safer and cheaper?
- Doesn’t nuclear power have zero emissions?
- Nuclear accidents are rare, aren’t they?
- Isn’t it true that Chernobyl only killed 31 people and Fukushima hasn’t killed anyone?
- How much water does a nuclear power plant consume?
- Are there vested interests in the current resurgence of arguments for nuclear power?
NUCLEAR POWER AND CLIMATE CHANGE
- Check out the ‘Don’t Nuke the Climate’ website, facebook, instagram, twitter
- Legislation banning nuclear power in Australia should be retained (Feb. 2021 article in RenewEconomy)
- August 2019 – Friends of the Earth Australia statement: Nuclear Power – No Solution to Climate Change
- Nuclear power: No solution to climate change – detailed 2016 paper (also available as PDF)
- Summary – nuclear power and climate change debates
- See the section of this website responding to pro-nuclear propagandists
- See the Nuclear Winter page on this website.
- The links page has a nuclear / climate section
SAFETY / ACCIDENTS / ATTACKS
- International Nuclear Risk Assessment Group, 2021, Risk of Life-time Extension of Old Nuclear Power Plants. Click here or here (PDF).
- Let the facts speak: an indictment of the nuclear industry
- How to make nuclear power safe in 5 easy steps! Debunking industry propaganda.
- Military and terrorist attacks on nuclear plants
- 10 years since the Fukushima nuclear disaster (briefing paper by Dr. Philip White, Feb. 2021)
- Forgetting Fukushima: With the 2020 Olympics approaching, irresponsible and cruel tactics are being used to bury a myriad of social and environmental problems associated with the nuclear disaster.
- Fukushima apologies and apologists (March 2014)
- Fukushima Fallout: 12 Months of Mishaps and Misery (March 2013 – Feb 2014) (PDF)
- Japans’ nuclear scandals and the Fukushima disaster (March 2012 briefing paper)
- Fukushima Fallout – updates from Japan (2016)
- Fukushima cancer death toll
- Friends of the Earth articles about Fukushima
- Nuclear apologists peddling dishonest arguments about Fukushima
- Is Fukushima the new normal for nuclear reactors?
- Fukushima and the conspiracy theories of barking-mad nuclear lobbyists
- Who − or what − is to blame for the Fukushima nuclear disaster?
- Australia’s role in the Fukushima disaster
- Radiation harm deniers? Pro-nuclear environmentalists and the Chernobyl death toll
- Chernobyl’s health impacts – important 2016 ‘TORCH’ report
- Credible estimates of the Chernobyl death toll
Please click through to this link: https://nuclear.foe.org.au/smr/
NEW ‘GENERATION 4’ REACTOR TYPES
- The ‘advanced’ nuclear power sector is dystopian (2019 article in Nuclear Monitor)
- The ‘advanced’ nuclear power sector isn’t advancing ‒ thankfully (2019 article in Nuclear Monitor)
- Sept. 2019 – Australian environment groups’ submission to federal nuclear power inquiry (lots on nuclear economics, ‘generation IV’ concepts, small modular reactors etc).
- The ‘advanced’ nuclear power sector is fuelling climate change, and WMDs (article in RenewEconomy)
- Important French and US government reports pour cold water on Gen 4 propaganda
- ‘Generation IV’ concepts are mostly failed Generation I technology (article by David Elliot on Nuclear Monitor website)
- Generation IV nuclear waste claims debunked
- Pyroprocessing: the integral fast reactor waste fiasco
- Nuclear weapons and ‘Generation 4’ reactors
- Nuclear Monitor, ‘Film review: ‘The New Fire’ and the old Gen IV rhetoric‘
- 2013 paper summarising Generation IV reactor concepts (pebble bed, thorium, plutonium, fusion)
- PARTICULAR TYPES OF REACTORS:
- Fast neutron reactors (aka fast breeder reactors)
- Integral Fast Reactors (and pyroprocessing)
- Thorium – a better fuel for nuclear reactors?
- Thorium and WMD proliferation risks
- High-temperature gas-cooled reactors inc pebble-bed modular reactors
- Fusion scientist debunks fusion propaganda
- Fusion – 2020 UK Nuclear Free Local Authorities report
- Why molten salt reactors are problematic and Canada investing in them is a waste (article by physicist MV Ramana in The Conversation)
NUCLEAR POWER’S IMPACTS ON WATER RESOURCES
DEBUNKING PRO-NUCLEAR PROPAGANDISTS
- Please follow this link: https://nuclear.foe.org.au/propaganda/
MULTILATERAL NUCLEAR FUEL CYCLE PROPOSALS
RENEWABLES AND ENERGY EFFICIENCY
- links to lots of Australian and international literature on clean energy options